94th Bomb Group


Squadrons of the 94th BG

331st Bombardment Squadron - Heavy
332nd Bombardment Squadron - Heavy
333rd Bombardment Squadron -Heavy
410th Bombardment Squadron - Heavy

Assigned 8th AAF: April 1943

Wing/Command Assignment

VIII BC, 4 BW, 401 PCBW: 11 May 1943
VIII BC, 3 BD, 4 CBW 13 Sep 1943
3 BD, 4 CBW 8 Jan 1944
3 AD, 20 CBW 1 Jan 1945

Combat Aircraft:

B-17F
B-17G

Stations

BASSINGBOURN Mid Apr 1943 to 27 May 1943
EARLS COLNE 12 May 1943 to Jun 1943
BURY ST EDMUNDS 13 Jun 1943 to 12 Dec 1945

Group COs

Col. John G. Moore 15 Jun 1942 to 22 Jun 1943
Col. Frederick W. Castle 22 Jun 1943 to 16 Apr 1944
Col. Charles B. Dougher 17 Apr 1944 to 15 Mar 1945
Col. Nicholas T. Perkins 16 Mar 1945 to 3 Jun 1945
Lt. Col Ernest B. Maxwell 3 Jun 1945 to Late Apr 1945

First Mission: 13 May 1943
Last Mission: 21 Apr 1945
Missions: 324
Total Sorties: 8,884
Total Bomb Tonnage: 18,924 Tons
Aircraft MIA: 153

Major Awards:

Two Distinguished Unit Citations: 17 Aug 1943: Operations in Regensburg, and 11 Jan 1944 on Brunswick


Early History:

Activated 15 June 1942 at McDill Field FL. Nucleus established Pendleton Field, Ore, on 29 Jun 1942 and engaged in initial training. Detailed training at Davis-Monthan Fielf in Arizonia between 28 Aug of 1942 and Oct 31, 1942 and at Biggs Field Texas between 1 Nov of 1942 and 2 Jan 1943. Final phase training at Pueblo Colorado on Jan 1943 to the end of Mar 1943. Air echelon began movement overseas on 1 April 1943. The ground element left for Camp Kilmer, NJ on 17 April 1943 and sailed on the Queen Elizabeth on 5 May 1943, and arriving in Greenock on the 11th of May 1943.

Subsequent History:

Scheduled for occupational air forces in Germany but plans changed in September 1945. Remained in the United Kingdom during latter part of 1945 flying 'Nickle' Project missions-dropping leaflets over former occupied countries and to displaced persons in Germany. Assigned 1 AD, on 8 Aug 1945. In November 1945 Forty Five aircraft returned to the US or transfered to other units, and the squadrons were inactivated. Remaining personnel left Bury St. Edmunds on the 11th of December 1945. The group inactivated Camp Kilmer on the 21st of December 1945. Allotted to the US Air Force Reserve and established first as a light bomber group in 1949, and later as a carrier organization flying C-119.